There are three basketball courts on our playground.
One court has two hoops so that a game with no more than two to three players on each side can be played.
- No slapping at the basketball, this is time to practice playing offense and defense without fouling
- If you stop dribbling, you must pass the basketball
- If you make a basket, it is worth 2 points and then the other team gets the basketball
- At the end of recess, congratulate each other for a good game. Everyone is a winner!
There is a a single basketball court near the under covered area.
- Great for a single player to practice their basketball skills
- Could use this court to play "bump" or "poison"
- Take turns taking shots
There is a single basketball hoop under cover.
- Great place for one or two students to practice their basketball skills
- Take turns taking shot
FOUR SQUARE RULES:
How to play:
- Four (4) players play the game, others wait in line.
- The court’s four quarters are lettered A (server), B, C, and D.
- The ball is served by the player in court A
- The ball bounces once in the server's square then is hit into another square, who then hits it into another square until someone either misses the ball or hits the ball outside the playing field. No holding the ball; no slingshots! Bounce hit, bounce hit only.
- Others should be standing on the line for a turn as players are eliminated. First person in line is the judge, the ONLY one who decides on who is out.
- Player A servers the ball, which must be served underhanded by dropping the ball to the ground and then batting it underhanded with one or both hands to B, C, or D on the bounce.
- It is a fault to step on or over any lines in your square while hitting the ball.
- If the serve hits a line, the server is out. NO DO OVERS!
- The Judge (first in line) makes the call if no one agrees on being out.
- If the judge can not make a decision on the play, the judge will go to the end of the line and the serve will be played over. Pay attention judge!
- The player receiving the volley must keep the ball in play by striking the ball after it has bounced once and directing it towards some other square.
- Play continues until the player fails to return the ball or commits a fault.
- A player who misses or faults, must move to the rear of the line waiting for a turn, while other players advance counter-clockwise one square.
- A new player moves into square D.
Hula Hoop Rules:
- One hoop per person. Please don't pull on the hula hoop while someone is using it.
- You may try and wiggle your body to make the hula hoop go round and round. How long can you keep it going?
- You may roll the hula hoop on the cement and then try and catch it.
- You may roll the hula hoop down the ramp on the north side of the playground.
- Only one jumper per single jump rope.
- Hold both ends of the jump rope while making it go over your head and jumping over it when it comes to your feet.
- Make up a fun jump rope song as you jump.
- Use the double jump rope for jumping games with multiple kids.
- Two people hold each end while the others in line jump. If you miss at your turn, then you turn the jump rope and the turner now jumps.
TETHER BALL RULES:
The game is played with two players, each in his/her section of the playing court; hit the ball until rope goes around and around pole. Player wins when the ball hits pole.
The server chooses the direction & side in which he/she will hit the ball and begins the game by batting the ball to their opponent. (NO SLING SHOTS!) The opponent attempts to bat the ball in the opposite direction.
When a player causes a violation, a new player moves into the game. If the server causes the violation, his opponent becomes the server.
- Touching the rope or pole
- Catching the ball (3 tosses, then hit ball OK)
- Stepping over the center line
After three (3) wins in a row, both players go to the end of the line. NO DO OVERS!
- climb or hang on the pole
- Play with more than 2 players at a time
- run through ongoing games
- Wall Ball Rules:
- Two players. Server bounces the ball and then ball hits the wall. This play continues until someone is out.
- First person in line is the Judge; decides who is out. Pay attention Judge! If the judge can not decide on who is out then the judge will go to the end of the line and play continues.
- No holding the ball.
- No angles or corners. (can’t hit it into the base of wall).
- Newcomer is the server.
- 20 hits between the two players, if no one is out, both are out. Line Judge must count out loud.
- NO DO OVERS!
- Don’t add rules to this game.