PHILOSOPHY OF HOMEWORK:
Education is strengthened by the reinforcement of learning activities outside of the school day. Doing homework can help to accomplish this for students.
The purpose of homework can be any of the following:
- To practice and refine skills so that mastery is achieved.
- To prepare students for the next class meeting.
- To extend assignments and to apply learning to a new situation.
- To create a long-range assignment or project requiring several days or weeks to complete.
- To make up missed assignments due to absence.
In addition to the above, the staff at John Muir believe that homework helps the child develop responsibility, independence, strong study skills and work habits. So that children will continue to grow in all areas, students at John Muir will start in grade two to share their school activities at home in simple homework assignments. This responsibility will gradually increase through grade five. Make a commitment to listen to your child talk about his/her school work and to give your child some time each evening when he/she has your undivided attention.
- Provide a place, with proper supplies, and a regular planned time when your child can study without distractions from TV, telephone, and other siblings.
- Encourage your child to ask questions about the assignment at the time the assignment is made or before he/she leaves school.
- Encourage your child to ask questions if he/she is struggling with a portion of the assignment.
- Check with your child to see that the assignment is complete and is his/her best effort.
- Be sure to check with your child frequently on the status of completion of long-term assignments.
- Help your child develop a system or set aside a place for completed homework so that it will be remembered each day.
- Provide your child the opportunity to go to the library or other resource areas in your community.
Kinds of Homework - Homework will be assigned by the teacher to meet individual student needs, therefore, not all children will be assigned homework in all categories.